Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Portfolio introduction

   

Finding our genre

Today in class (January 19th) my group partner and I came up with our idea for our film. Over the course of this week and last week we have been working on story pitches for our project. In total, each student is expected to have at least 5 story pitches. When looking at my pitches and my partners pitches, the genre that came up the most is Sci-Fi so, likewise that is the genre we decided upon. 

The film

The movie we are trying to create is a Sci-Fi movie that follows the life of a boy as he tries to prove the existence of alien life (Subject change). We felt this is a great topic to cover because a convention of Sci-fi film is alien life so we felt there would be a lot of prior resources to base our opening off of. Furthermore, we both loved the idea as it sort of follows the TV show that we all watched as kids: Gravity Falls.

 

What I think about the project

Personally I think the project itself is gonna be a lot of fun. Even though it may be fun, I feel like it will be a lot of work that me and my partner have to complete. As is stands it is just the two of us in a group whilst all of the other groups seemingly have an upwards of 4 people which leaves us with half the amount of arms and brains everyone else does. Nevertheless, I feel like my partner and I will have no problem managing.

 

What we want in the film

For the film, we want to follow common Sci-Fi conventions as it refers to content: Aliens, extraterrestrial lifeforms, mutants, super intelligent computers, robots etc... Beyond that however, we wanted to follow the common theme of meeting with alien life forms so we made this the made plot point. We also wanted to follow the common character traits such as the mad scientist (Which we plan on adding through his father).

 

The research 

When researching our genre we strictly analyzed movie openings as this is what we have to create for our portfolio project (a 2 minute opening). We analyzed many of the common films in the genre such as the Avengers films and other huge names in the sci fi industry such as ET.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment